Obama shakes hands with President Donald
Wearing a grim but determined look, President Obama welcomed an uncomfortable, bewildered President-elect Donald Trump to the White House for their first post-election meeting to discuss the upcoming transition of power.
President Obama was gracious in praising Trump and their meeting, especially considering the vitriol Trump has hurled at him in the past, including attempts to undermine the Obama presidency but frequently questioning Obama's birth place (an attack he backed down on only two months ago).
President Obama said of the meeting, "I just had the opportunity to have an excellent conversation with president-elect Trump... We talked about some of the organizational issues in setting up the White House."
President Obama also stressed the importance of the power change, saying, "As I said last night, my number one priority in the coming two months is to try to facilitate a transition that ensured our president elect is successful."
Still, there was a noticeable discomfort between the two, despite some shared smiles and some joking advice by Obama about answering questions from reporters, an attempt to put Trump at ease.
For his part, Trump appeared subdued, if not a bit lost, in making his statement when the pair met briefly with the press for a brief photo op in the Oval Office.
Trump, who admitted to never having actually met President Obama despite his past attacks, said, "I very much look forward to dealing with the president in the future, including counsel... Mr. President, it was a great honor being with you, and I look forward to being with you many more times in the future."
At the same, First Lady Michelle Obama met with First Lady-elect Melania Trump, which was probably a bit awkward itself given the extensive accusations that Mrs. Trump's convention speech featured passages that seemed to be lifted from a previous speech by the current First Lady.
top read more news
- Indian troops on the ground were destroyed militant bases in Pakistan
- Majedalesa - Hwages, saudi girls brave song
- Clinton supporters weep openly International
- Saudia plane makes emergency landing in Karachi
- Municipal tax hike may hurt retail sector gains: Analysts
- couple arrested in Jeddah anti-terror raids
- Russian ambassador killed in Ankara shooting
- Saudi Arabia ranked best Arab country for corporate headquarters
- No backing off on Umrah fee, says Saudi Ministry of Haj
- Indian commandos go missing en masse: report
- Saudi warship hit by Houthi suicide attack returns to base
- Bad news! this country banned Bangladeshi expertise!
- Thousands protest in London against Trump’s refugee ban
- Saudi Arabia experiences sub-zero temperatures
- Emirati desert festival brings tradition back to life
- Myanmar Buddhist monk muzzled after murder of Muslim lawyer
- Bangladesh black listed some Bangladeshi experties
- Expatiates hide 45 lac SA real in Banana! See video
- Labor Ministry starts e-registration
- No free in Saudi, New tax for all Saudi arabian
- Saudi Arabia, other Muslim nations spared ban as US allies: experts
- Trump first phone call to an Arab leader
- ‘Foreign workers’ remittances exceed SR150bn in 2016’
- Trump’s sweeping ban on people seeking refuge